AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes

AUSTRALIA ~ The Antipodes
I love a sunburnt country / A land of sweeping plains / Of ragged mountain ranges / Of droughts and flooding rains / I love her far horizons / I love her jewel-sea / Her beauty and her terror / The wide brown land for me / ~ Dorothea Mackellar (1885-1968)

Followers

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday Review of my Blogging Journey


Pic by Gemma Wiseman ~ My blogging world is by the sea, Dromana, Mornington Peninsula
~
My reason for blogging
My first blog post on 4th July 2007 was called First Thoughts ~ The Internet for a Grey Nomad. The post began with a reason for blogging...
Fingers trembling, I wander into the caverns of the mysterious internet world. Just a few years ago, I fought passionately against ever feeling a need for a computer. And now??? Well...It's the most exciting research library...an armchair traveller. I love to explore new skills...trial and error style...

As you can see, the reason for blogging was a bit vague! But the reason seemed to take shape as I blogged. I found I was leaning on free verse but exploring quite a range of poetic forms. Poetry was a means of exploring alternative views of the world. So far, blogging seemed to be more for me, giving me confidence as a writer.
A year later, my first digital camera entered the equation. Poetry complemented my photos. It was then that I really found my voice, my blogging identity and my reason for blogging. I wanted to show quirky, cute, arty, weird, entertaining, informative, non-mainstream views of the world around me (mainly the Mornington Peninsula world in Victoria, Australia) plus a hint of spiritual insight. I wanted people to feel some kind of “uplift” after reading my blog. Now, in 2009, I find my main poetic voice is haiku. It takes a moment to read but the thought lingers. Haiku suits the haste of the 21st century but quietly taps into inner realms. Now I hope my haikus and photos refresh world weary minds and spirits.

The story behind my blog name
I chose the word Greyscale initially to symbolise a blog that explored beyond black and white worlds and ventured into those grey, limbo areas that challenge traditional norms. But I found a blogger in Egypt was already known as Greyscale, so I added the word Territory. As my blog evolved, I added my name and the title of Poetic Songlines to indicate it was a poetry based blog.

The best thing about being a blogger
I so love it when people say that they really enjoy a post and then search my blog for more. But the best thing would have to be when they say that they “feel good” or somehow my post/blog lightened their day! That is like a priceless, encouragement award! And if they keep coming back, that must be the ultimate gift for a “hungry” writer/photographer!

The most significant blog post I've ever read
So many! Here are just a few ranging from agony to ecstasy!
1. Beautiful photo of a child reaching for balloons from Sabine in Gozo’s post I had a Dream.
2. Beautiful poem by Sharon of Sweet Repose in Iowa called I Slip Away. Her words are like a mesmerising song on the summer wind of a dreamy Sunday afternoon.
3. Totomai’s Filippino blog called Distilling Thoughts presented a post called Three. His poem personifying a camera is enlightening and the remainder of his post presents 30 of his Top 30 photos over the last 3 years. Each photo seems to give a cameo insight into a soulful dimension! Amazing, unique works of art.
4. All posts in Selma’s heart-wrenching From Tehran With Love, sub-titled It’s all about a dystopia called Tehran. She is one of many women in Tehran who seek human contact on the internet:
And when you breathe
‎If you breathe
Life burns a hole into you
in her post Confirmed on June 30, 2009
5. And Amir’s Tehran 24, sub-titled Daily Photos from Tehran, was caught up in the protests after the Iran election. He disappeared from 17-29th June. His first post declaring his freedom stirred 136 comments of relief from around the world. But one commentator noted that he posted no photos nor said what happened.
No posting appeared again until 18th July.
Finally, a postscript said that his camera was freed 2 days prior.
Since then, "he?" has posted intermittently, beginning with a water display.

My most significant blog post
Out of 2 years’ daily postings, that is very hard to answer. So perhaps I will select 2 posts that were out of my comfort zone. They were topical, confronting and did not involve haikus.
One was called I wanna know why child soldiers and the other complemented this post with a nonet called I’ve never seen your child’s face.
In May 2008, I had just learned that about 300,000 children fight in about 30 conflicts.
Children as young as seven acted as human shields.
Some children joined the army to simply survive.
I had to write!
I simply had to write!
~~~~~~~~~

To blog is to crave
To yearn to communicate
To love being whole
~
And where would I be without some very faithful followers!
Michelle of Poefusion must be mentioned here!
The fact that she was first to comment reminded me that I should include her in this post.
Constantly she wishes me well and encourages me!
Thank you so much Michelle!
And then there is Leslie from Kaleidoscope.
She teaches in Canberra and has introduced her students to my haikus!
Thank you so much Leslie!
~
NOTE:
In the first comment of my One Single Impression #71 ~ I could be the stranger on the shore post (5.07.09), David McMahon of authorblog asked me to do a Sunday Roast interview.
I was so thrilled because it was right after my Blogoversary.
It seemed a great way to celebrate the new blogging year.
That same day I published a post called Sailing on a high to begin my 3rd year of blogging
This was for the SOOC Sunday meme, but I expressed my excitement about David's request there, returned to his blog and left a "thank you" comment.
I also asked how he wanted my responses to be submitted.
(I could not find an email contact!)
I imagine he leads a very busy, demanding life and in the process has forgotten.
That's OK! I don't think I should hound him about his offer!
I just had prepared my answers already, and felt they may be moving toward being out of date.
So I am publishing them here ~ calling them Sunday Review and slightly altering the headings so I don't plagiarise his style!
Thank you David anyway!
~

2 comments:

poefusion said...

this is a great way to say thank you to all those who've made your blogging experience what it is while adding information about who you are and why you blog. i think you summed it up nicely with your haiku:

To blog is to crave
To yearn to communicate
To love being whole

hope all is well. have a great night.

Hey Harriet said...

Great post Gemma! I really enjoyed it! Have a super week :)

CALENDAR

Tasmania

Tasmania
A place of beauty in the Western Tiers

Tasmania

Tasmania
View near Blackwood Park Cottages, Mole Creek

New Landscapes

New Landscapes
New Worlds

Archive of Blog Quotes

  • A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent
  • Autumn is an introspective season when stray thoughts of the mind dive into the mystique of the soul - Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn is the bridesmaid of Summer and the flowergirl of Winter ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Autumn whispers the tones of yesterday in a minor key ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Love is born / With a dark and troubled face, / When hope is dead / And in the most unlikely place; / Love is born, / Love is always born. - Michael Leunig's Christmas Song Cycle "Southern Star"
  • Spring paints the stars of heaven in Earth colours ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Summer sizzles with a sibilant hush / Broken by dreams of / Clinking ice ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul. - G.K. Chesterton
  • Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. - Stanley Horowitz
  • Winter is the fire, simmering lonely in the soul ~ Gemma Wiseman
  • Winter is the shadow, the etching of the seasons in the mist ~ Gemma Wiseman

Google Analytics

The Inner Light of the Spirit

The Inner Light of the Spirit
The Spirit of Inner Light

Lady Gemma

My Peculiar Aristocratic Title is:
Lady Gemma the Unique of Walk upon Water
Get your Peculiar Aristocratic Title

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails